Carlos Sainz has offered some more thoughts following last week’s shock news that Lewis Hamilton will swap Mercedes for Ferrari and replace him as Charles Leclerc’s team mate from the 2025 season.
Sainz is gearing up for his fourth campaign at Ferrari – and has claimed five pole positions and two race wins with the team – but the bombshell announcement means he will part ways with the Maranello operation at the end of the year and be forced to strike a deal elsewhere on the F1 grid.
After an initial, brief statement on his social media channels, Sainz opened up about Ferrari’s driver reshuffle in an interview with Sky Italia, beginning with whether he was surprised or disappointed by their decision.
“No, I was not disappointed,” said Sainz. “Experiencing Ferrari from the inside, I already knew several things, and I prepared with the team for future changes.”
Reiterating the message to fans in his previous statement, the Spaniard continued: “I don’t want to think about anything else other than how to give my all this season for Ferrari.”
Sainz, who will turn 30 this year, described himself as feeling “younger and more motivated than ever” as he prepares for that challenge of giving his all to Ferrari while also settling on his future plans.
It’s definitely not the best feeling to start with the season,” he said. “But the moment I put on my helmet in Bahrain and go out on the track, the only feeling I’ll have is the will to go harder and harder, also aiming to win the championship.”
He added: “I’m aware of what I’m worth as a driver and for this reason I’m very calm when I look to the future. Good things will definitely come, but for now my goal remains to do my best with Ferrari.”
Fresh from testing at Fiorano this week, Ferrari will soon be getting set for the launch of their new F1 car, with the covers set to come off the SF-24 on Tuesday, February 13.