NRL legend backs Ryan Papenhuyzen to have stellar 2024 campaign
The backing from Alexander comes after reports emerged from the Sydney Morning Herald that Papenhuyzen has been linked to a rival club and a third party made contact with another NRL club in pursuit of recruiting the 25-year-old.
Papenhuyzen’s current contract with the Storm expires at the end of the 2025 season, however the Storm’s depth within the fullback role has increased throughout his time on the sideline.
Since then, the 20-year-old is reportedly set to extend his contract and shift him into the top 30 for the 2024 season.
“I think he’ll be back (to his best), I saw him last Friday, he was very confident that he’d be back running after Christmas and ready to go,” Alexander said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.
“The knee will have more time to heal, he said the only worry is the fact that it is the same leg, the broken ankle was the same (leg) as the knee.
“The quad and the muscle in his thigh wasted away a little, I think he’ll be back.”
Alexander would go on to speak about the rumours that came out last weekend regarding Papenhuyzen reportedly beginning to shop around to rival clubs.
The Panthers icon stated that if he were in charge of the Storm, he would take the risk and remain with the fullback despite his history with injuries and rising star Sua Fa’alogo coming through the ranks.
“I’d go with him, I’d take that risk,” Alexander added.
“I think he’ll recover, and the knee will be fine.
“By the time he gets back on the field after another offseason, even though it’s an injured offseason, I don’t think that will be an issue, the knee.